Each year, Landmarks Illinois and the Richard H. Driehaus Foundation honor individuals, organizations, projects and programs whose work demonstrates a commitment to excellence in historic preservation. In doing so, we hope to inspire others to preserve, protect, and promote historic resources. In addition to the beautifully designed trophy, each of this year’s winning projects will receive a $1,000 cash award. All winners will be honored during an Awards Ceremony on October 18th in Chicago.
Richard H. Driehaus is a dedicated supporter of Landmarks Illinois’ mission. His foundation has underwritten these awards since 1994.
Nominated projects must have been completed within the geographical boundaries of Illinois within the last five years. Projects not yet completed will not be considered.
- Nominations may be submitted without the knowledge of the nominee
- Self nominations will be accepted
- Nominations which are not selected for awards in a previous year may be revised and resubmitted, provided the five-year time limit has not been exceeded.
ADVOCACY – An effective local or statewide campaign to preserve and protect a historic resource.
- Community Effort/Grassroots Campaign
LEADERSHIP– Individual, municipality, private organization, or joint partnership that has championed historic preservation, planning, or public policy.
- Emerging Leader
- Lifetime Achievement
PRESERVATION – Projects that make possible the continued use of a historic commercial/industrial, residential, or public/institutional structure.
- Adaptive Use
LEGISLATOR – An elected official who champions historic preservation policy, programs, and funding and/or financial incentives recognizing the importance of preserving Illinois’ heritage.
- Impact of the project on the community
- Quality and degree of difficulty of the project
- Degree to which the project serves as an example of excellence in historic preservation and influences others
NOMINATION DEADLINE: JUNE 15, 2019
To view previously honored projects and individuals, visit the Preservation Awards page of our website.
Suzanne Germann, Director of Grants and Easements